How to talk to your child about sexting
Every child is different, you will be best placed to know what approach to take based on their character and your relationship with them.
Here are some tips to help you communicate with your child about sexting.
- Convey to them that they should never feel forced into doing anything they are uncomfortable with
- Explain to them the importance of trust and consent in a healthy relationship
- Encourage them to come and talk to you if they feel pressured by anybody
- Advise and support your child in reporting any incidents of sexual bullying, whether they are involved or not
- Make it clear that any incidents of bullying are unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Bullying can have serious repercussions, including triggering mental health problems such as self-harm and depression for the victim
- Do not dismiss sexist language or behaviour as funny - remember that you are a role model for them and they will look to you to determine what is right and what is wrong.