hertfordshire police hot to avoid crime hertfordshrie police keeping safe
Crime prevention Hertfordshire

Domestic abuse (part two)text here

domestic abuse rape help women watford stevenage rickmansworth borehamwood royston What should I do if I think someone is suffering domestic abuse?

If you think a friend or relative is in an abusive relationship it can be difficult to know what to say or do. Leaving an abusive relationship can be incredibly difficult and criticising someone for staying with their partner will be counterproductive.
They may feel scared or to blame and that the abuse will stop if they change their behaviour. They may live in hope that the abuser will stop. Leaving can be extremely complex, particularly if a victim is dependent on their abuser financially, emotionally or for care, and if the abuse has made them feel resigned and helpless.
Instead, you can play an important role by ensuring they don’t isolate themselves from their family and friends, and by supporting them and by helping rebuild their confidence – allowing them to make their own choices about leaving the relationship.

How to report domestic abuse

Call Hertfordshire Constabulary on 101 or the Hertfordshire Domestic Abuse Helpline on 08 088 088 088 if you see anything that makes you suspect domestic abuse may be occurring. Dial 999 if there is an immediate danger to life, risk of injury or crime being committed.
If you’d prefer, you can also contact the Independent Domestic Violence Advisor (IDVA) service for further advice and support. The IDVA service offers independent, professional and confidential advice and support in a non-judgmental manner. The IDVA acts as an advocate on the victim’s behalf, exploring legal options and/or supporting the victim through the court process and liaising with other agencies such as police.
The Hertfordshire IDVA (Independent Domestic Violence Advisor) service can be contacted via email (sunflowerherts@googlemail.com) or by phone (01707 638420). You can also report to the IDVA service or the police through an online form, available here.

Access further support

Herts Sunflower is the collective branding for a wide range of local services.  The website (www.hertssunflower.org) is Hertfordshire’s independent one-stop-shop of information about services and support available, and includes a service directory of national and Hertfordshire based services.
Hertfordshire Domestic Abuse Helpline forms part of the Herts Sunflower provision and offers free and confidential advice and support to anyone affected or concerned by domestic abuse between 9am and 9pm (Monday to Friday) or 9am and 4pm (Saturday and Sunday).  They can be contacted via 08 088 088 088 or
Respond provides a range of services to both victims and perpetrators of sexual abuse who have learning disabilities and those who have been affected by other trauma.  They also offer support and training to families, carers and professionals.
Hertfordshire Change Project is a community domestic abuse prevention programme for men who want to take positive steps to change the way they behave. Read the Hertfordshire Change Project leaflet

A refuge is a safe house where women who are experiencing domestic abuse can live free from violence. If you have children, you can take them with you. Refuge addresses are confidential. You can choose to travel as far away from, or stay as near to, your home as you wish. Some refuges are for women from particular ethnic or cultural groups and all cater for women with a disability.

List of Hertfordshire refuges:

East Herts and Broxbourne: Safer Places 
Dacorum Women’s Aid
St Albans and Hertsmere Women’s Refuge
Stevenage Women’s Refuge
Watford Women’s Refuge - contact Watford Women’s Centre (Mon to Fri, 9am-5pm on 01923 816229)
Welwyn Hatfield Women’s Refuge

Keep up-to-date

Subscribe to our mailing list

Sign up here to receive updates on new modules and the latest news on Citizens Academy.
* indicates required