hertfordshire police hot to avoid crime hertfordshrie police keeping safe
Crime prevention Hertfordshire
What to do if your child has...
how to avoid crime in hertfordshire policeShared an explicit image or video:
  • Ask them who they initially sent the image to, their age, and if they know whether it's been shared with anyone else.
If the image has been sent to another child, think about contacting their school to discuss the situation. 

If the image was requested by an adult contact the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) to make a report as this is an example of grooming and is illegal.

Lost control of a sexual image:
  • Encourage your child to get in touch with Childline who, in conjunction with the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF), will try to get the image removed.
  • Alternatively, you can make a report directly to the Internet Watch Foundation on your child's behalf.

Been sent a sexual image:
  • Ask them if they know the person who sent it and their age.
If the image was sent by another young person you may want to help your child speak to the sender in order to stop further messages.  If your child agrees, you may also want to assist them in blocking the sender on social media and/or their phone.

Keep up-to-date

Subscribe to our mailing list

Sign up here to receive updates on new modules and the latest news on Citizens Academy.
* indicates required